My Food Obsession

Monday, November 07, 2005

Table for One

It's hard cooking for one person. In fact, I'd just rather not. My parents have been out of town for the last couple weeks so I'm left to fend for myself. Let's see, what did I eat for dinner tonight? I had 7 mini balls of fresh mozzarella with basil and olive oil. Then I followed it up with chinese dumplings and some pork shortribs. Last week, for most of the week, I ate reheated Green Onion Pancakes.

I don't put forth much effort when it's just me I have to feed. I've been known to have cereal for a meal, Honey Nut Cheerios preferably. Another quick one is an egg fried over-easy on top of white rice with a drizzle of soy sauce and a dollop of butter. Yum.

I'm willing to spend upwards of thirty minutes, even hours, on a dinner party or for a family supper, but I'm not willing to invest more than ten minutes into preparing a meal for myself. One reason of it is the amount of labor involved: prepping, cooking, clearing then washing. Another is that I don't want to eat the same thing over and over again for the next five days, which is what happens when you make a recipe that serves 4 - 6 and you only have one mouth.

But in the end, the reason I don't cook for myself is that utimately I'M ONE LAZY BASTARD.

7 Comments:

  • I'm exactly the same way. When Chris has to work late (and eat at the office), I resort to leftovers, frozen food, or cereal. I've been known to make an entire dinner out of chips and salsa. But invite a couple of people over? I'll spend days poring over recipes and shopping and hours in the kitchen cooking.

    By Blogger Felisa, at 11/08/2005 11:35 AM  

  • Poor Stella, cooking for one. Because I'm such a kind person, I'll let you cook for me as well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/08/2005 12:50 PM  

  • Meow!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/08/2005 1:14 PM  

  • What is this chicken they speak of?

    By Blogger Felisa, at 11/08/2005 1:20 PM  

  • what about tomatoes?! what's mozzarella without tomatoes?! i know it's not exactly tomato season, but still!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/08/2005 1:36 PM  

  • The Thai BBQ Chicken was proclaimed the best chicken EVER at the Labor Day BBQ. I will have to blog about that one.

    Caprese salad! I know!! It was wrong of me to not eat the mozzarella without tomatoes. But lazy bastard that I am, I haven't been grocery shopping and thus, have no tomaotes.

    By Blogger stella, at 11/08/2005 2:33 PM  

  • ... means yes!!!

    As in, yes please!! I'm sure any inquiring post on RSF will elicit takers for dinner parties anytime!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/08/2005 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home