My Food Obsession

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Call the papers!! Breaking news! It’s raining in L.A.!!

Yes, every single time water falls from the sky, it’s the headlines news here in Los Angeles where people complain when the mercury drops below 70. Myself included. I’m not a big fan of the rain myself, but there are a couple of things that I relish about it. The first is windshield wipers. I love watching them streak by, gathering the rain that then shoots off into the wind. My pet peeve is drivers who have their wipers on full speed when it’s barely misting. It’s important to have the right amount of rain accumulated on the windshield before wiping. Well, at least to me!

The second thing I enjoy about the rain is the idea of snow falling in the mountains. Winter is just around the corner and that means snowboarding! It’s always a lot of fun to go up to Big Bear or Mammoth to spend a day falling of my ass. And don’t forget the occasional face plant. But another reason I get excited about snow is that I love cooking breakfast the day after boarding. Nothing fancy. Just bacon, toast, maybe some sausage, and High-Altitude Scrambled Eggs.

Yes. High-Altitude Scrambled Eggs. That’s what I call them. Every time I make scrambled eggs in the mountains, they turn out amazing. Just a little bit of milk with a pinch of salt and pepper and they’re light and fluffy, soft and silky. My scrambled eggs at home never turned out that good and I could never figure out why until recently. After reading this article, my best guess is that altitude keeps the pan cooler, thus producing smaller and silkier curds.

So even though I started today sitting through an hour of traffic followed by getting soaked by horizontal rain, the prospect of snow keeps me cozy and smiling as I think of scrambled eggs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home