My Food Obsession

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Literati II

There's nothing glamorous about the place from the outside; cars race by on Wilshire Boulevard and just around the corner, shoppers push their carts full of groceries from Posh Ralph’s. But once you step through the wooden door into the patio area of Literati II, you enter a welcoming little hideaway from the city noise.

When I was in college, I would often pass by its sister cafe next door, Literati Cafe and always think "That place looks cute. I wonder what it's like." Back then, the space that Literati II occupies now was a Koo Koo Roo. After my thought about the cafe, I would then crow "KOOKOOROOOOO!" as is required when passing said establishment.

I learned about Literati II from a review in the L.A. Times Calendar section which described it as a "neighborhood breakout" serving quality food at a reasonable price. It sounded like my kind of restaurant.

The first thing you notice when you walk in is how comfortable the place feels. The space is inviting and warm, cozy but not at all confining. The decor is literature themed, with books displayed, a huge #2 pencil hanging on the wall and the wine list printed on lined paper. The service is always helpful, attentive and friendly, with one of the waiters even taking time to converse with us about the television show Alias.

But the main reason why I love this place is the food. The ingredients used are seasonal and fresh. There are regular entrees on the menu such as the salmon and steak, but they were dressed differently with each visit. I've seen the pork chop with roasted cherries in balsamic vinegar one time, sliced apples another. Most recently, the duck breast special used tangerines and pomegranates to cut the richness while almonds added crunch for a contrast in texture.

Seafood is always handled well here as well. The black mussels appetizer is excellent, never overcooked, only perfectly steamed and tender. Combined with sliced Yukon potatoes and served alongside a piece of grilled bread to sop up the broth, it can make a meal. The sand dabs on my first visit were pan-fried in butter, resulting in delicate flaky flesh with a satisfying exterior crispness. My friend's salmon was cooked just right, with the interior still pink and moist.

And the dessert!!! I wish I could describe the array of desserts I've tried, but really, I've only had one. It's so good that I can't help but order it every time. People laugh when I tell them that the churros here are to die for. Yes, churros. They are nothing like the ones you've had at Disneyland or the ball park. These churros are fat, crunchy and sweet on the outside, fluffy soft and delicate on the inside. The cinnamon and sugar exterior give the right amount sweetness and the accompanying chocolate dipping sauce compliments the dish perfectly. You cannot eat at Literati II and not try the churros. It would be blasphemous!

Literati II always reminds me of what I love about food. With care and respect, creatively and knowledge, you can create a great meal with simple ingredients. This is the kind of place that I'd be proud to call my own.

__Literati II__12081 Wilshire Blvd__Los Angeles__310.479.3400__

2 Comments:

  • Yum. Churros. If you're in the area, let's hit it up! Next SCRSFWHSAA social?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/19/2005 3:22 PM  

  • Damn you for making me think about the churros! Mmmm...drooool. Oh, and Alias waiter was the best, for obvious reasons. Teehee.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/19/2005 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home