My Food Obsession

Monday, March 13, 2006

Food and Double-Quotes: A Bad Combination

So this weekend I flew to Houston to attend Stephen's wedding. Unfortunately, JetBlue doesn't fly to Houston, so I flew direct on Continental from LAX. During the flight, they served us a "snack." This "snack" consisted of a "burger" made with 100% "beef" with American "cheese." This "cheeseburger" came in a crinkly plastic bag, as if the plastic has dried in whatever heating mechanism they used. The melted "cheese" was smeared on the inside of the bag and condensation had formed on the inside of the bag, making the "bun" a little wet.

Upon biting into it, the first thing I noticed was the texture. It wasn't quite firm enough to be beef. The "meat" had a soft spongy mouth feel and the "cheese" left a slimy film on the roof of my mouth. It generally tasted like a cheeseburger, though the patty did not have a beef flavor to it, but instead had a generic unidentifiable meat flavor to it. And despite this unpleasant first bite, I was somehow compelled to take another bite, which was dumb of me.

The salad helped a bit to rid the taste from my mouth. Yes, the salad that consisted of iceberg lettuce, dressing and a lone sliver of red cabbage for color. After the burger, it actually tasted decent.

The best part of the whole in-flight "snack" was the Twix bar. Too bad it was a fun size mini.

I think JetBlue has spoiled me these past few years. Not only do they have fly out of Long Beach and have TV's for every seat, but they have great snacks like Doritos Munchies Mix, Terra Blue Chips and Animal Crackers. JetBlue knows how to win me through my tummy. Oh, JetBlue, how I love thee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home