My Food Obsession

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Silence is Deliciously Golden

I love the food television. Since I was young, instead of waking up to watch Saturday morning cartoons, I'd tune into PBS for cooking shows featuring some well-known chefs such as the two Jacques, Pepin and Torres, as well as obscure shows like the one with the flamingly gay host that would whisk his way around the world annoying everyone he met. Bad or good, I watched them.

Nowadays, it's no different, but now I watch Food Network instead of PBS. I love the noon to 1:30 pm block that starts with "Everyday Italian" with Giada De Laurentiis, followed by the "Barefoot Contessa" after which comes "Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello." It's a solid hour and a half of television that I salivate continuously through.

As much as I love food television, the Food Network has a slew of shows that I can't stand. Emeril is at the top of that list, followed microscopically closely by the entirely disgusting "Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee." I used to hate Rachel Ray, but have grown indifferent to her, though sometimes, I want to shoot her when she says "E-V-O-O" and giggles. And as much as I hate some these shows, I will still tolerate sitting through them simply because it's TV and it's about food.

But there is one thing that will make me turn off and walk away from food television. My mother. Never can I sit through a cooking show without her constant commenting. It ranges from her amazement that "Americans" can actually properly cook to the ingredients used.

Her generalization of American (read: white people) cooking comes from dining at places like Sizzler, Macaroni Grill and Hometown Buffet, which consists of overcooked food all around. Obviously food is going to taste like the mold that grows on shit at those places. But her assumption that ALL American food taste like my toe jam prompts exclamations like "Look! They know not to overcook the fish!"

The other comments that she makes, that even bothers me more, is the tsking over the quantity of ingredients used with comments like "Ay, look how much oil she's using!" (a whole two tablespoons) and "Too much sugar. Too sweet." I understand making those comments during Ina Garten's "Barefoot Contessa" where a sauce starts with two cups of mayo, followed by one cup of sour cream, mixed in with two sticks of melted butter and rounded off with a gallon of half-and-half. But if we're not watching Ina getting fatter, please.....SHUT UP!!

But instead of actually yelling, I get up and walk away.

My mother, what power she wields.

3 Comments:

  • I love this post.

    Love it.

    r

    By Blogger Rita, at 4/28/2006 2:21 AM  

  • LOL!!!!!

    I'm afraid to say more... ;)

    By Blogger Julie, at 4/28/2006 11:10 PM  

  • I like Paula's Home Cooking on the Food Network. She keeps it real, not to mention that she has absolutely no regard for the health and general well being of the human race.

    She spits at the face of obesity and then eats it with a stick of butter.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/29/2006 12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home