My Food Obsession

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Pay It Forward

I never really liked the movie Pay It Forward. First off, the ending was retarded. Second, age isn't being kind to Haley Joel Osment. He isn't quite living up to his potential cuteness that we saw in The Sixth Sense and Forrest Gump. In general, I thought the movie was a bit too idealist and warm and fuzzy. Did I mention the ending was RETARDED?

But just because I didn't like the movie, I'm not beyond the idea of paying it forward. I think that if I do good unto another, it'll come back to me eventually. I also believe that Karma is a bitch. What goes around, comes around, good or bad.

Apparently I've done something nice, though absolutely nothing comes to mind. But whether it was the Christmas spirit or someone else paying it forward, I was the recipient of a kind gesture yesterday.

Last night, Doris and I decided to have dinner at CPK. Initially it was a good idea, until we remembered that we'd have to battle with the mall parking lot. I normally avoid malls during the holidays like the plague, for somehow we thought that since we were eating instead of shopping, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

We circled the lot for a while without any luck. As we were about to give up on yet another row, a woman and her daughter motioned to us that they were parked in the next aisle. As we snickered about how closely the woman resembled a man with her mullet and sports jersey, we pulled around, only to find other cars already there. Goddammit! Another parking spot lost!*

But to our surprise, the mother/daughter pair waited around, loitering aimlessly. We weren't sure what they were doing, whether they were just crazy or what. They hung out for a couple minutes while the other cars waited to see where they would go. Eventually, after the other vehicles left, they headed towards their car. THEY HAD WAITED FOR US!!!!! To make sure that we got the spot!! In fact, just as we signaled, another car pulled up from the other side and signaled for the same spot. The daughter then motioned to them that the spot was indeed ours.

I then felt REALLY bad for making fun of the mannish woman. Doris and I were both so touched by the gesture. So many times we forget that there are people that aren't cynical and self-serving and rude. Today, it's my day to pay it forward.

*I have a history of people VERY RUDELY stealing my parking spot. One incident involved a whole family. What kind of lessons are you teaching your children??? The other incident involved AZNs. I bitched the driver out, ending with "FUCK YOU BITCH!" Oh yeah, and both my parents were in the car. After I drove off steaming mad, my mom, in the back, very quietly says, "I don't like it when you use that kind of language."

1 Comments:

  • I've seriously never met such kindness in a parking lot. I also feel bad for initially calling them a liar when we thought that they had forgotten where they parked, and led us in the wrong direction. Little did we know that they were just standing around waiting for us. Oh, Mrs. Mullet, I heart you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/23/2005 2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home